- Monday I got a taste for what it might feel like to have to pay for health care. And I Did. Not. Like. It. Luckily, it was for my dog and even more luckily, it was over a wart* that we are choosing to leave be instead of spend our monthly food budget treating thankyouverymuch. But seeing that cost estimate still made me want to hurl, which only serves to emphasize how ludicrous it is to force people to choose between their health and their wealth. I dealt with that choice by pouring myself a drink and pretending it didn’t exist (the choice not the drink, the drink I did not lose sight of). Clearly, I would do not well in the United States.
- Tuesday I decided it would be a good idea for me to get some colour on my skin in preparation for the various social events I will be attending starting this Saturday. Since the sun is currently too busy roasting other parts of this continent to bother showing up here, this colour was going to have to come out of a bottle. I found a Nivea self tanning moisturizer under my sink and after a thorough exfoliation, really slathered that stuff on. Anyone else hate that self-tanner smell? It drives me crazy, but I was willing to put up with it to look like I didn’t just step fresh out of January. Well now I am covered in something all right, but a golden hue it is not. More like endless tiny itchy red bumps. Highly attractive. Now I just look like I stepped fresh out of an ant hill.
Picture this, except without the tan and with red bumps all over (via we heart it).
- Wednesday we got our SPUD box. This is sort of like a fancy version of a CSA box, in that it is a box of (mostly local) vegetables and fruit that shows up at our door once a week, however it comes all year and we get to actually pick what we get. We are lazy, so we love it. In it arrived these alien looking mushrooms called morels that I’ve never tried before. Wild mushrooms! Time to pretend I am Very Fancy. I looked up a wild mushroom risotto recipe and got to cooking up a storm. Luckily, the recipe called for wine, which means I had to open a bottle, which means we had to drink the rest of that bottle. It was delicious with our Very Fancy Wild Mushroom Risotto (or as John said “mushrooms in rice”). Yay for Hump-day turned into make-believe Friday!
- Today, I woke up to the rash having spread. It started off just on my neck and chest, but is now all over my arms and legs as well. And I have the constant urge to claw at everything on my body. That’s the worst thing about a desk job – any discomfort you have becomes amplified as you have no other physical sensations to distract you. I think I might have to run to the drug store and get me some anti-itch type lotion. And maybe a coffee at the same time. You know, since I’m already out there.
All in all, it has felt like a looong week. I’m ready for the weekend to arrive, especially now that I actually feel like I have the Sunday BBQ mostly under control. I just hope the rash settles down by then.
* She has a papilloma in her ear, which is basically a type of wart. It is big, it looks like a brain, and it is highly disgusting. Like the human version, apparently they are quite common and do go away on their own eventually, but somehow the vet managed to scare me into thinking it must be removed OR ELSE. Thankfully John is not as impressionable as me. It’s a WART.